Why Citizenship Matters
Inclusion Connection* believes strongly in having a community and a world where EVERYONE has the opportunity to have a voice. Inclusion Connection’s mission is to promote inclusive communities that live, learn, work, and play together. As part of our LIVE focus, one important and fundamental criteria of inclusion is citizenship. As a member of your community, state and country, it is important that you are empowered to know and exercise your rights.
The first steps to be an active participant in deciding the future includes the following:
- Think about the local, state, and national issues that are most important to you.
- Attend any online or in person civic event
- Become informed on the positions that local, state, and national candidates hold on your most important issues.
- Turn your opinions into action by sharing your ideas with your representatives
- Vote! for candidates who support your viewpoints and values
To get you started as an informed citizen, we have included two links that provide information on how you register to vote, obtain an absentee ballot, to get election reminders, and find your polling place.
- State of Iowa voting with disabilities link https://sos.iowa.gov/disabilities.html
- Iowa Election Center https://www.vote.org/state/iowa/
*Inclusion Connection is a nonpartisan organization and will not favor any individual for having a certain belief or point of view